ESTATES OF THE MONASTERY OF ST. GEORGE GORGOS OF SKOPJE IN VELBUŽD AND VICINITY

Aleksandar Atanasovski

Abstract


The history of the Monastery of St. George Gorgos and particularly
the estates it possessed is evidenced in three gift deeds: by tzar
Constantine Tikh of Bulgaria from 1257/58; by the Serbian King
Milutin from 1300; and by Vuk Branković from 1377/78.
Subject of analysis is the oldest of the preserved documents, the
gift deed by tzar Constantine Tikh of Bulgaria, particularly the estates
of the monastery in Velbužd and its vicinity. Researches so far have located
some of these estates in Ovče Pole, Žegligovo and Velbužd. This
is the village of Jovan Bogoslov, the village of Dabnica, the villagemetoch
of St. Vasily, the community of Podmir, the village-metoch of St.
Luka and the metoch of St. Nikola Koluški in Velbužd.
The village of Jovan Bogoslov has been located in Ovče Pole,
but there is also a village of Bogoslovec, near the medieval city of Velbužd,
that may correspond to the donated one. Some scientist locate the
village of Dabnica in the region of Prilep, but field researches have
pointed to the possible location of today’s village of Rakovo, that used
to be called Dabovo. The metoch of St. Vasily was supposed to be in
Ovče Pole or Žegligovo, but it was probably located near the present
day village of Vaksevo, in whose vicinity the katun estate of Podmir and
the metoch of St. Luka (identified with the Monastery of St. Luka in the
village of Granica, Kyustendil), should be looked for, the reason being
that the last gift - the metoch of St. Nikola in Velbužd - is quite nearby.
All these estates formed an economic unity on the way from Velbužd,
through East Osogovo towards the River of Bregalnica, Ovče Pole and
Skopje, along which Constantine Tikh travelled when he arrived from
the Upper (Gorna) to the Lower Country (Dolna Zemja).

Key words: ESTATES, JOVAN BOGOSLOV, DABNICA, ST.
VASILY, ST. LUKA, ST. NIKOLA, IMMUNITY


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.